Monday, June 28, 2010

Week Ten Training Update – 39 Days to Cologne!

I think this may go on record as the busiest summer I’ve ever had! Much of it has to do with all the running I am doing to train for Cologne but we have also have done a fair amount of traveling with more on the calendar. I’ve a meeting in DC next week so Kent and I are going to spend the weekend of the 4th in DC and then he’ll return to Seattle on Wednesday and I’ll stay on for my meeting returning that Friday.
It’s also hard to believe that Cologne is 39 days away! I am very pleased with my progress although I must admit that I am going to be grateful when the heavy duty training is over! Since starting the 16 week training program on April 18th, I logged 500.57 miles over 76 hours! That’s a lot of running! This is my peak week in the training – I’ll log 65 miles this week and slowly the miles each week between now and the marathon diminish. Yesterday I had a very long day between the Seattle Gay Pride festivities and my Sunday long run. I had a scheduled 20 mile run to do so I got up at 4 a.m. to get it done before heading out to the parade. I’m feeling pretty good about my progress. I ran the 20 miles at an 8:33 pace – not bad considering there were five miles of hills in the route. I was also able to complete the last mile in an 8:05 pace meaning I had not expended all my energy in the previous 19 miles. This has been a pretty heavy duty training schedule for me, with four 20 mile runs on the schedule – I’ve only got one more to do before Cologne!

Summary of week ten miles:

Sunday – 16 mile long run
Monday – rest
Tuesday – 11 mile easy run
Wednesday – 10 mile hill run
Thursday - 11 mile speed work
Friday - 10 mile easy
Saturday – rest

Until week eleven!

Jim



Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment