Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It's a Blog-A-Birthday!

This is a great big Blog-a-Birthday greeting to my sister Midge! Happy, Happy Birthday Midge!

I love this picture! This was taken at Adam and Sam's wedding a few months ago. I like the blur and black and white look of this picture and I love and my sister Midge!

I have thought a lot about what to say about Midge and decided I would write as if I were being interviewed about her - so here we go!

Tell us a favorite memory of your sister Midge.

There are so many - but I'll never forget that she is the first person in my family that I had the courage to tell that I was gay. I actually tear up as I remember the kindness, comfort and encouragement that she offered. She helped me in so many ways and paved the way for me to be okay with who I am that still helps me today. She helped me get the courage to tell my parents and was there with me when I told my parents. I was 18 years old.

Tell us about one of Midge's greatest accomplishments?

Without question her boys. She did such an incredible job raising her two boys as a single Mom. She instilled in them the importance of family, value of friends and helped shape then into the responsible, accepting and importantly -the democratic men they are today.

Why are people attracted to her?

Another easy one - she's beautiful, engaging and funny as hell! She is always the the life of the party. She can talk to anyone and make anyone feel welcome and like they are old family friends. Whenever Kent and I throw a party one of the first questions from all our friends - "Is Midge going to be there?"

What are you most thankful to your sister Midge for?

Her sense of family - she always stays in touch with everyone in the family. She leaves me phone messages (somehow just when I need it most) just to let me know she was thinking about me or passing through and that she loves me.

What four words you would use to describe her?

I'm going to cheat on this one - I've already said she's beautiful, engaging and that she's funny so these are a given - which means I get four more! She's also strong, iindependent, committed and compassionate.

In closing - is there anything else you would like to add?

Yes and I would like to say it directly to Midge -

I'm thankful to you Midge and lucky to have you as one of my sisters. I am so proud of the woman that you are today. I hope you have a wonderful birthday full of all the things that make you the happiest and all the things that you deserve! And - despite the fact that I never answer the phone - I'm always here for you!



Happy Birthday!

TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO READS THIS...........

I'm going to make another plug for adding comments. So far - as far as my siblings go, my sister Tina is the only one that has made comment in the blog. This would be a great time to leave comment and wish Midge a wonderful birthday, sibling or not! I really do appreciate the comments.

Have a good one -

Jim

6 comments:

  1. Did you make that cake Jim? :-) Sisters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - It took me all day! Sisters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Midge! Jim is right, you are a great person to be around and I've enjoyed getting to know you over the years. Now...who's older, you or Jim?!? IKM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim you made me cry, which is very unattractive for a woman of 52(even if I still look 40)!
    So you see Jennifer, I am older, just look younger.
    Love Midge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Mom. What a great present. Thanks for making me look bad Uncle Jim :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim you did a wonderful job of discribing my daughter!
    I have been blessed with seven beautiful and talented children, as well as a handsome husband, and 11 incredible grandchildren, life just does not get any beter! Unless it is all the great grandchildren, and inlaw children, and inlaw grandchildren, etc who knew a family could grow and grow

    ReplyDelete