Monday, August 18, 2008

Contain This!

Okay - so I know that not everyone who visits this site is into gardening but I urge you to check this out. Even if you are not into gardening, a container on the front porch or back deck is always a fast and easy, enjoyable project.

This may seen a bit late to put together a container garden but I've got several good reason to give it a try.



This past weekend I stopped off at Furney's Nursery - "just to have a quick look". Big mistake, there was a sale going on that was to good to pass up on. Because we are so late in the season all annuals were 75% off! They were practically free! I remembered that I had an old empty pot at home and a bag of soil so I decided to see what I could put together for under $10.

I purchased an assortment of 5 different annuals.


1 - Crocosmia from back yard (Thriller)


1 - 1 gallon Coleus - (Thriller)


4 - Saliva (Filler)


1 - Begonia (Filler)


3 - Dusty Miller (Filler)


2 - Sweet Potato Vine (Spiller)

This should fill in nicely in the next couple of weeks a make a nice fall display!

That's all you need to remember when putting together a container garden. The right combination is an assortment of, thrillers, fillers and spillers.

Thrillers act as a focal point, fillers take up space and fill in the empty spots and spillers cascade over the side of the container.

If you follow these few simple rules you can put together a great container garden for very little money. There are a few things to keep in mind. The pot will only last until first frost. I figure for less than $10 two months worth of enjoyment is worth it. Because it is later in the season the plants are likely to be root bound. Remember to break up the root ball for best growth. Water and fertilize thoroughly and frequently.

Get to the nursery in a hurry - once they put these annuals on sale they go fast!

Have a good one -

Jim

3 comments:

  1. OMG...this looks great! My favorite part: "It was practically free!" I can just hear Kent now...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is really nice! All I have are pots of impatients on my deck. At least they bloom all year here on Maui :-) Oh, I forget I also have 5 orchids. You have inspired me to try something a little diffrent. Mahalo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not good at picking out the thrillers, spiller, and fillers. I guess we will have to have a nursery party adventure next spring.

    ReplyDelete