Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Gay Rights Victory!

Appeals court rejects Oregon gay rights challenge!

I decided this was noteworthy enough to pass on! I am so tired of groups fighting to take away the rights of gays. Human rights/equal rights can not be granted based on public opinion. These truly are legislative and legal decisions. I am so glad that they could not find enough bigots to sign their petition - I was worried. When the law was repealed to allow interracial marriages- public opinion was against it. Can you imagine - there was actually such a law? I hope for the day when people say the same thing about gay marriage.


How could you not not want Kent to make an honest woman - I mean man out of me! (Kent's going to kill me for this comment) :-) LOL....

Anyway - off my soapbox and on to the storey....

A federal appeals court has rejected a challenge to the Oregon domestic partnership law approved by the Legislature last year. Opponents had tried to collect enough initiative signatures to put the issue to a statewide vote. But Oregon Secretary of State Bill Bradbury ruled they did not get enough. His ruling was challenged in federal court, but a judge upheld Bradbury's decision. On Thursday, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals also affirmed the secretary of state's ruling. The ruling also supports the statistical sampling method of checking initiative petitions to make sure enough valid signatures have been submitted.

If you support gay marriage rights - I would sure like to hear your comments - If you don't - I'd just assume not know!

Have a good one -

Jim

2 comments: