Saturday, August 16, 2008

Art's Ticked Me Off!

Art Thiel's article in the PI ticked me off this morning. "Too-Careful Chinese Manage to Produce Joyless Games." It might be because I have a summer cold (which really has made me cranky) or the fact that it's 4 a.m. and I can't sleep - but it just sounded so negative and - well, ironically- joyless.

Art - are we watching different Olympic Games? These games have been anything but joyless. Tell that to Micheal Phelps or his Mom and sisters in the stands or to any of the other 50 Olympiads for the US or their families that have won medals. The only people who deserve to be joyless as far as I am concerned are the athletes who have worked so hard to get to the Olympic games and walk away with no medal in hand.


Don't get me wrong - China has a ton of work to do when it comes to the rights of it's citizens. Having the opportunity to on the world stage like this can only be good for China and it's people as far as I am concerned. See my comment to Art's article below.


Going back to bed now....


Posted by Ground Cover at 8/16/08 3:47 a.m.
Sorry Art – not only do you sound cranky, you sound uncultured and less than appreciative. China has a ton of problem’s - that’s clear. (and we don’t?! – don’t even get me started!) But the Chinese people and its culture have been incredible to watch. As a sports writer - I’d like more coverage from you about the games and the athletes and less of your opinion - relax and enjoy the games. They have been terrific!



Later -


Jim

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so it looks like you changed your entire blog in a fit of crankly sleepiness. Does this mean the lilies are no more?!? I'm protesting, I want them back!

    ReplyDelete