Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Another Broken New Years Resolution - Try This!

Why is it every year I continue to make New Years resolutions only to break them within a very short period of time. A month if I’m lucky! This year was no exception - although this year’s resolution lasted longer than most!

Usually I go with the crowd and go with something like:

This year, I resolve to always replace the gas nozzle before driving away from the pump.

This year, I resolve to always "check for paper"when leaving the restroom. (Unfortunately, I've actually seen this one)!


This year, I resolve to always drive closer to the speed limit. (God knows I’ve had my brushes with the law in the last year)!


This year, I resolve to no longer park the car next to fire hydrants. (That's a bad day)!

I think you get the point....

This year I went with something different – something intended to make me healthier. I got to thinking about all the magazines that I subscribe to (my magazine subscription addiction will have to wait for another entire blog) that are full of great recipes. Each month I peruse through magazine after magazine and think "wow that looks good – I’m going to make that" – only to put he magazine down and cover it up with the next months edition that quickly shows up.

My 2008 resolution was to make ten new recipes per month and Kent and I would rate them. My goal was to put together a cookbook at the end of the year with my favorite recipes. I quickly discovered that the reason all these recipes go untested is because - it’s a lot of work! There was also the issue of the ingredient's - I was always going to the store for some obscure ingredient – Foie Gras – how the hell often does one make a recipe with Foie Gras – I didn't even know what if was until my first recipe called for it. It’s not even humane! This is about the time I "reevaluated my resolution.

So - although I did not manage to continuously try ten new recipe's each month - the positive thing is that I continue to try new recipes. I thought I would take the time to share one that I recently discovered and adapted to make it even better! I love to cook and I love to find new recipes and give it the "Jim" twist - which always makes it better! (Ingredients that I added from the original recipe are in bold). I think I will take this to my friend Peggy’s birthday gathering this weekend. We usually eat it vegetarian style however roasted chicken is easily added. Delish......
I started with fresh ingredients – some from my garden and some from the local farmers market. This entire salad can be pulled together in 20 minutes. Serve with fresh bread, olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping, and you pretty much have the makings for a nice, light summer meal. All pictures from this point forward except for the pepperdews were taken in my kitchen as I made the recipe.

Here goes……

Tomato, Avocado and Fresh Herb Salad with Mozzarella, Goat Cheese and Roasted Pine Nuts

Ingredients:

4 -5 assorted medium to large tomatoes (I used a mixture of heirloom and then added some cherry tomatoes)

Small Package of mozzarella cheese - sliced

Small package of goat cheese - sliced

1/2 tsp. of sea salt

1 tbsp. red wine vinegar

1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

1/2 tsp. Honey

1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil

2-3 springs marjoram

Fresh basil

1/2 sliced avocado

1/8 cup roasted pine nuts

Assorted olives

Pepperdews - (side note below)


This is the only ingredient that you many not be familiar with. I buy mine at the Safeway Olive Bar. They are so good!

What is a Pepperdew?

Pepperdews are quite common in South Africa and can be bought usually in a bottle marinated in a delicious sauce. You can use them in salads, curries, chili dishes or just by themselves. They look like cherry tomatoes, but have a thinner skin. They are usually sold in halves and look like round cherry like peppers. They taste sweet and peppery.

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Slice the tomatoes and the cheese and arrange on the platter with the olives, peppers and avocado.

In a small bowl, whisk the salt, vinegar, honey and balsamic vinegar until salt is dissolved - add olive oil, whisk until thoroughly mixed.
Add all other ingredients on a plate and spoon dressing mixture over the tomatoes and cheese.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

I would love to hear your feedback about this recipe!

Later –

Jim

1 comment:

  1. I am able to make link exchange with HIGH pr pages on related keywords like [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com]bad credit loans[/url] and other financial keywords.
    My web page is www.usainstantpayday.com

    If your page is important contact me.
    please only good pages, wih PR>2 and related to financial keywords
    Thanks
    buptvustite

    ReplyDelete