Thursday, July 1, 2010

Project 365 - Original Starbucks



We really do love our coffee here in Seattle - perhaps it's because it's July 1st and it's raining and the temperature never reached 60 today!  I was pretty frustrated waiting for the bus in the rain today!

Many blocks in downtown there is literally a coffee shop on every corner - Tully's, Seattle's Best Coffee, Starbucks, we have them all! At one point in my old office I had my choice of six different stores in a one block radius! I'm totally addicted to the stuff to the point that I experience serious withdrawal when I don't have my morning cup! I don't go for all the fancy drinks, most mornings I actually make my coffee at home and take a thermos to work. On the weekends and when we travel however - I'm always on the lookout for my grande no room americano at Starbucks! I tell my friend Jennifer " I like my coffee like you like your men - strong and black"! I decided a long time ago to drink my coffee black - I figured if I were going to drink the stuff I did not need the extra calories or hassle. Not to say I don't like a good latte once in awhile!

The picture of the day was taken late this afternoon - I was heading out after a meeting and ended up near the Pike Place Market near the location of the original Starbucks store. You can tell by the logo (exposed breasts on the mermaid) that this is the original store. I guess the breasts exposed was too much for the rest of the world and so when they expanded away went the nipples! Check it out if you are ever in Seattle its across from the Pike Place Market another must see in the city. The Starbucks with the best view in Seattle is located on the 41 floor of the Columbia Tower - open Monday - Friday only!

FYI - More info on the logo from the net if your so inclined -

Starbucks Logo


Starbucks is a company, which is well known throughout the globe. Known mostly for their coffee, the Starbucks brand The Starbucks logo shows a green band with two stars and a crowned Siren in the center of the logo. It is haunting yet attractive and recognized throughout the world, and provides an excellent lesson in logo design.

Brief History of Starbucks Logo

Designed by Terry Heckler of Heckler Associates, the iconic mermaid that beckons coffee drinkers was based of a classic 15th century Norse woodcut of the mythical siren. The hardy yet feminine look was perfect for the Pacific Northwest local. Evoking the local lumber industry�s history in the area coupled with an inviting face, the logo was a perfect fit

However, the finely crafted corporate identity soon faced challenges. How do you place a bare breasted siren on the side of a truck? Modify! Eventually, the siren�s hair was lowered to cover the bare-chested icon. Then the suggestive pose of the mermaid, posed a unique branding challenge during Starbucks rapid expansion. What had seemed a clever and folksy design in Seattle was considered risqu� in other parts of the country? Modify Again! Soon, the offending pose was slightly altered, and then eventually the pose completely obscured.

Evolution of new redesigned Starbucks logo

The current Starbucks logo that the world knows today now focuses on the warm and inviting face of the mermaid, rather than her body. The iconic cigar band outline remains, framing one of the most famous corporate identities in the world. The story of the Heckler Associates modification and re imagination of each subsequent logo design is necessary for anyone interested in logos and branding.
Cheers!

Jim



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Lol! Yes, we love our coffee, don't we? I still miss our 6:30 coffee outings at work. Those were the good days:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do like our coffe the same way Jennifer likes her man. An Americano grande with four shots and no room for cream is an absolute must when traveling! Which of course we are soon to be doing as we head to the Pacific Northwest later this month. I loved the history of the logo.
    Be safe love Mom & Dad too

    ReplyDelete