Friday, July 2, 2010

Week Eleven Training Update

I usually post my training updates the Monday or Tuesday following the completion of the week but this week I am so relieved with being done with week eleven I’m posting it right away! Week eleven marks the peak mileage week in my training – I’ve logged 65.72 miles this week! That’s the most I’ve ever ran in a 7 day period and I have to say I feel great! Not to say I am not exhausted and that I am not glad the peak miles are behind me but I’ve managed to run nearly 600 miles in the last eleven weeks and remain injury free, loose a few pounds and not miss one scheduled run!



The remaining 5 weeks of training are looking pretty manageable with two 54 mile weeks, one 58 mile week and then the almighty taper to 37 miles, 22 miles and finally the marathon on August 7th! During the past eleven weeks as part of the training I’ve ran one marathon and two 20 mile long runs. I’ve only one more long run of 20 miles – another reason to celebrate!

I know I’ve complained about the weather a lot lately - here goes again! This morning – July 2nd, it was 56 degrees and pouring rain the entire time! I kid you not - POURING rain the entire time! They say summer begins in Seattle after the July 4th holiday. I just looked at the forecast and see early next week we are supposed to get up into the mid 70’s and by Wednesday – 83! What a difference a few days makes!


During the course of the training for this marathon I’ve done a fair bit of traveling. That’s one of the things I love about running – you pack a pair of shoes and some shorts and you can do it anywhere. I love exploring new running trails. In the last eleven in addition to the miles covered in Washington, I’ve covered ran in Texas, California, Georgia and finally this next week in the District of Columbia.

Sunday: 20.16 long speed run
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 12.09 speed work
Wednesday: 12.21 easy
Thursday: 11.21 easy
Friday: 10.05 easy
Saturday: rest

Glad tomorrow is a rest day albeit on a plane to the east coast! Have a great 4th of July weekend and happy running!

Jim

2 comments:

  1. That's a great pic....but 65 miles this week. I only ran about 2 miles but cycled 12 - not comparable to yours.

    August 7 is fast approaching - good luck and train hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are something! All good!
    The running picture is a testimony of Washington.
    It is hot here, but cooler than it was.
    Have a happy 4th of July.
    love M & D

    ReplyDelete