Saturday, July 10, 2010

Project 365 - Home Sweet Home



I finally made it home after being stuck in Detroit for a night thanks to Delta Airlines! I have to say that I am more convinced than ever that we need an airline passenger bill of rights. I travel enough to have had my share of travel related horror stories but it seems that since Delta and Northwest Airlines merged customer service by Delta has been horrible! Not only that but with less competition the prices have not been as good and the availability to redeem frequent flier miles is very limited.

It's not been the flight crew it's been gate agents for the most part who seem to hate their jobs and take it out on those of us choosing to fly with Delta. Both last night when due to "weather related issues" I missed my connecting flight to Seattle and again this morning while trying to get a seat assignment on my new flight. Last night - "Kimberly" at gate 54 was completely rude and less than helpful. Delta did not pay for my hotel accommodations and only when I over heard that I could get a distressed travels rate did I find out that there was a "discounted" rate negotiated for passengers being left to fend for themselves. I say "discounted" because when I called and checked on the special rate - (God knows Delta was not about to make arrangements for anyone) I was given a price of $99 for a night in a hotel 9 miles from the airport where I would literally be spending 6 hours by the time I got checked in and has to turn around and get up to head back to the airport. Kent found me a Courtyard by Marriott (love Marriott) for much less and only 2 miles from the airport.

I still think Delta should have put me up for the night but at the very least "Kimberly" could have helped me secure reasonable accommodations, been a little sympathetic to the situation and not act as if she were the one being inconvenienced! I'll spare you the details of the rudeness I experienced by this mornings gate agent trying to get a simple seat assignment.

Just glad to finally be home more than anything!  The picture of the day was taken this afternoon from Madison Park in Seattle. It's one of our favorite places in the city.  Kent and I have been coming here for the past 13 years to swim and enjoy the neighborhood.

We went to the Elite Tavern in Seattle tonight and picked up our team shirts for the gay games.  We meet a couple of people that will be attending and learned more about Cologne and some of the logistics.   It's getting pretty exciting!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone.

1 comment:

  1. We are just glad you are home safe and sound.Thank you Kent for taking good care of JIm.Stay well and dump the stress! Love M&D2

    ReplyDelete