Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Week Fourteen Training Update

Well first of all I am happy to report that my passport finally arrived yesterday! Nothing like cutting it close! Just over a week to go before the marathon and other than packing tonight – I’m pretty much ready to catch a plane tomorrow and fly into Amsterdam and from there take a train to Cologne. We ended up purchasing a rail pass that is good in four Countries for unlimited travel for two over a 10 day period. Since we are flying into Amsterdam and we wanted to make it to Berlin and Luxembourg we decided it would be a good deal. We may even make it over to Brussels - I can tell it's going to be a busy 10 days!
I've been nursing a slight leg injury that occurred last week when I did some speed work and ran a nine mile run in a 7:59 pace with several hills. A couple of the miles were at a 7:15 pace which is where the injury was sustained. I've been taking it easy - icing and ibuprofen and a little pain-relieving cream that my Mom gave me (smells like old person) but at this point I am doing everything possible to heal. I've not missed a run and today did 7 miles at a 7:56 pace and feel pretty good. All the heavy running is behind me with the longest run before the marathon being 8 miles this coming Sunday.

I am not sure how much access to the net that I will have but hopefully I'll be able to post periodically. We leave tomorrow just afternoon and arrive on Friday morning. There are several welcoming parties and the opening ceremonies to the Gay Games on Saturday the 31st. We will then have an entire week to travel around before the run on the 7th of August.  Check out the video below of the opening ceremonies from the last Gay Games held in Chicago!  Looks like it's going to be fun!



Week Fourteen mileage update:

Sunday: 20.01 long run
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 9.41 easy
Wednesday: 11.03 speed
Thursday: 9.01 easy
Friday: 9.12 easy
Saturday: rest

Wish me luck!
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment