Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Week Two Training Update - My Near 60 Mile Week

Boy how time flies when you’re running, traveling, working, gardening and trying to fit in a social life on top of everything else! Throw in a little reading and that pretty much sums up my life right now. Two weeks down and only 14 more to go before the Gay Games in Cologne. I've put in more miles in week two of my 16 week training plan than I've ever ran before in one week - nearly 60 miles. I was looking at the hours that I’ve actually been on my feet running in the last two weeks – over 18 hours running. Not bad for week in which I also spent the better part of four days on the road. I had to deviate from my original training schedule when we decided to head to Houston. I moved my Sunday long run of 20 miles to Friday to accommodate our schedules and to avoid flying home on Sunday and having a 20 mile run hanging over my head – as it was I’d have to fly home and do a 7 mile run upon arrival in Seattle.
I’m not sure I’d call it a mistake but it was definitely a challenge! The run in Houston was scheduled to be 20 miles and I cut it short by 2 miles and took several walk breaks between miles 16-18. I'm not too worried about it - more than anything I'd like to know exactly what made the run such a challenge. I think it mostly had to do with the VERY humid conditions, the fact that I'd not had as many days between long runs as I normally do so therefore not enough recovery between long runs, running 7 miles the day before (usually the day before a long run is a rest day) or the simple fact I was tired. At any rate I took Saturday off as a rest day and my legs recovered well and I had a great 7 mile run on Sunday after we got home for Texas – nice to run in cool conditions!

My running schedule for week two was as follows:

Sunday – 16.3 mile long run
Monday - rest
Tuesday – 8.32 mile easy run
Wednesday – 8.07 mile hills
Thursday – 7.24 mile easy run
Friday – 18.0 mile long run
Saturday - rest

The good news is my legs appear to be doing well and feel reasonably strong. I’ve got a few aches and pains with my feet/ankles but nothing that causes enough discomfort to stop me from running. I’m excited to begin the big tapper leading up to the Capitol City Marathon in a few short weeks! Over the next couple weeks my weekly mileage total will drop by about half as I give my legs some much needed rest.

Total miles to date in the 16 week Cologne training plan: 105.39

Later –

Jim

1 comment:

  1. Your legs are mighty legs! I am going to pray for your legs!

    ReplyDelete