Monday, May 17, 2010

Capital City Marathon Update and Week Four Training Update

Well, well, well, I'm not sure where to begin. I guess I'll start of saying that the Capital City Marathon was a blast! I had a really great time! I ran my first full marathon in 2007 and the Capital City Marathon was my 7th since then. I had ran the half marathon at the Capital City Marathon in 2002 which is when I first got seriously back into running so it was nice to go back to where it all began.


I'm not sure what made this one such a great experience - it was no one thing just a combination of the weather, being back in Olympia where I lived for 12 years, the people, my training, frame of mind, and the beautiful course.

I had planned on running this one nice and slow as a training long run as part of the training for the Gay Games Marathon in August. I was thinking about 4 hours which is a 9:10 pace. I started out nice and slow and half way through felt pretty good and picked up my pace and completed in a time of 3:48:59. The best part is that I did not trash my legs - I felt really good at the finish line and today I could actually walk up and down the stairs at work my legs feel great and I'm ready to resume my training schedule tomorrow! I think it really helped me to slow down and start out slow - usually I start at about an 8:15 pace and keep that up for 15-16 miles and then tired out and by the end my pace is 10:00 min. miles. Although this was not my best time, it is the first time that I was able to successfully do a negative split and run faster and finish stronger in the second half of the marathon! I think the hill training really has paid off.

Kent took this picture before the start of the race - Just when I think I can pass for straight I see a picture like this and think "not with that pose"!  If you look at the picture a second time and imagine me saying to myself "take the damn picture already" I don't think I look as gay! (not that there is anything wrong with that!) :-)


I met some really incredible people throughout the course - one guy had ran the Spokane Marathon the previous day and was doing back to back marathons, another lady "Grandma Lee" had just completed her goal of running a marathon in every state and was starting on continents. Another guy had ran in the London Marathon over 20 times and was well over 500 marathons in a lifetime. I met another guy who has a blog 26point2medals.com whose goal is to provide quality pics of every medal from every event from every state in the U.S. and eventually the world. At mile 22 I met a lady who wanted to complete the course in under 3:50 and paced with her to help get her their - She called me her angel. That's one of the things I love about running is all the great supportive people you meet.

This is on a rural part of the course at about mile 18 - hard to tell but that's me!  Kent is so great about cheering me along at multiple places along the route. 


The crowd in Olympia was great - much of the course was very rural but there were still those out cheering you on! I saw Kent several places along the route - it's always encouraging to see someone you know along the way! I saw my friend Peggy and gave her a big old sweaty hug at mile 24 - I even sat in one of her chairs for a second so I could tell people I took a little rest stop along the way! Thanks Peggy for coming out! Thanks too to all the emails, phone calls, Facebook comments and blog posts with encouragement - it really helps!

Special thanks to my friend's Nancy and Paul and my two Godchildren, Emily and Will who hosted a lunch gathering after the marathon!  It was great to see you all and I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

One last thing about the marathon - usually you get a commemorative tee shirt and if you are lucky it not cotton but a quick dry tee that you can wear while running - the Capital City Marathon gave us cool light jackets - They're pretty nice and a nice change of pace from another shirt!  Down side - no medals!  They gave a trivet with the logo for the marathon that says "Marathon Finisher".  Nice for a change I guess but different.

Quick week four training update - due to the marathon it was a pretty light week of running.

Sunday - 12.22 long run

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 3.17 easy run

Wednesday - 5.39 easy run

Thursday - 6.01 speed work

Friday - 3.01 easy run

Saturday - rest

I'll return to running tomorrow - although it will be another light week (besides the marathon) and I'll return to the full schedule the following week.

Have a good one and thanks again for checking in - I appreciate it!

Jim

4 comments:

  1. I am not into running...I run at the gym, but I love cycling (well in my spin class) a bit more. Sometimes I think, it's mind over matter - I have alot of stamina, and I do have alot of energy - but I can't seem to run for more than 20 minutes at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your negative split :) Great pictures-much better than the "professional ones." I like the jacket idea. The running community is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost felt like I was there! Thanks for the feeling of inclusion! One of my goals is to be at one of your marathons to cheer you on. You have cheered me on so often in my journey through life. Next is Germany! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete