Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Star Trek

Kent and I saw the new Star Trek movie last week and I have to say it’s been a long time since I enjoyed a movie this much. Growing up I was not a huge Star Trek fan but I did enjoy it for what it was – cheesy. As for the spin off television shows – I watched the Next Generation here and there but it was Voyager that got me hooked on Star Trek again. I encourage you to go to Netflix and rent the first season of Voyager. The series really gets good in season 4 when Jeri Ryan was cast to play Seven of Nine a Borg drone freed from the collective. I am still ticked that it went off the air. Of the movies the clear winner is Wrath of Kahn – until now.

The new Star Trek movie keeps true to the original series just enough and uses it well to jump into the 21st Century. The cast was terrific – and what’s not to like about the Chris Pine – the actor who played Captain Kirk.


The new Star Trek is a great science fiction film directed by J. J. Abrams. It is the eleventh film based on the Star Trek franchise and features the main characters of the original Star Trek series, who are portrayed by a new cast. The film introduces a parallel universe/alternate timeline separate from the continuity of the original series and the previous movies. It explores the previously unexplored back stories of James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and Spock (Zachary Quinto), before they unite aboard the USSEnterprise to combat Nero (Eric Bana), a Romulan from the future who threatens the United Federation of Planets. For a full synopsis of the movie visit this Wikipedia link.

Fan of Star Trek or not - go see the movie - you will enjoy it!

Later - Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment