Sunday, May 17, 2009

Perfect Weekend for Everything!

Here it is the end of the weekend, I should be rested and ready for the work week but not me - I'm totally exhausted! This weekends weather was as perfect as it gets in Seattle. Right now Sunday evening after 7pm it's still in the mid 70's! So often in the NW once the sun starts to go down the evening cools off quickly - not this weekend, last night we slept with the windows open all night for the first time. Sometimes when it's raining or cloudy for long periods I wonder why we live here - then we have a weekend like this and it's easy to see why.
This weekend we did the thing you do when you live in Seattle and the weather gets nice - cram everything you ever wanted to do into the weekend window of opportunity. Because the weather does not
consistently get nice until after the 4th of July - when we have a nice weekend we cram everything in until we are ready to drop from exhaustion by Sunday evening. Who knows what the weather will be like next weekend (not that we care since we will be in California next weekend visiting my parents where the current temperature is just over 100 degrees!) so you have to take advantage of it!

We crammed more into this weekend than we usually do, it was just to nice not to do it all! We started off Friday evening going out to dinner and then to see the new X-men movie. Perhaps it's because we just saw Star Trek which I completely enjoyed - but I was really disappointed in X-Men. I really thought I would like it a lot. I liked the other X-men movies but this one was just okay - I had high expectations and was disappointed. The special effects were great and Hugh Jackman and Taylor Kitsch (from on of my favorite TV shows - Friday Night Lights)was good but the movie was full of corny cliches - there were 4-5 times that I said the next lines out loud before the character in the movie - that's a bad script! Oh well - if you have not seen it and you are a fan, go see it, if not and you are still interested, save it for a rental.
Saturday we got up early and were at Fred Meyer at 7am to pick up flats of annuals that were on sale. I got a bit carried away and bought 9 flats of annuals - that's a lot of planting! From there we went downtown and went to the Pike Place Market to the annual Cheese Festival. The Cheese Festival is an opportunity to taste hundreds of local fresh cheeses, cooking demonstrations and seminars on cheese pairings - there is fresh bread and wine - it's a great event. If you have never been to the Pike Place Market its a must when in Seattle. There were several Cruise ships in town headed for Alaska so the place was hopping! I am lucky enough to work just south of the Market and can make it down there during the week when it is much less crowed!

From there we went home and I started planting all the annuals that I bought. I took the pictures and made this collage of the flowers currently in bloom in the yard - I hope you enjoy!

It's been awhile since I posted pictures from my garden or even talked about gardening. I spent several hours out in the yard over the weekend. One of the things I love most about gardening is the ever changing landscape - blossoms from the apple and pear tree are gone, the evergreen clematis blooms have long faded as have the daffodils and grape hyacinths. Yesterday, I noticed the tulips are past their peak and will be done in a week. But ready to take their place is the roses, lilies, all the summer annuals, fuchsias, clematis - well for any of you that have seen my yard, you know I could go on and on.

Saturday evening we took a drive along Puget Sound south to Tacoma. We tried a new restaurant called Matador in Tacoma - I would definitely go back and recommend it! The margaritas were terrific and the food was pretty good. Check it out!

This morning Kent and I both got up and did the Beat the Bridge Run in Seattle - it's a 5 mile run to benefit juvenile diabetes. We've done this particular run several time and always enjoy ourselves. It starts and ends at Husky stadium.

It happened to be the weekend for the University District Street Fair which is always fun so we went to the Street Fair following the run. From there we headed to Olympia to have lunch at the Oyster House, one of our favorite lunch places in the south sound.


We stopped in at the Olympia Farmers Market - a must do if you find yourself in Olympia when the market is open. Unfortunately, I bought more plants so we promptly headed home and I worked in the yard for several hours in an attempt to get some of my new plants in the ground. I made pretty good progress. Work in the yard is never done - it was nice to be around the neighborhood all the neighbors were out working in the yard - it was very social.

Have a great week - thanks again for all the calls and emails regarding my last post, I really appreciate it! Governor Gregoire is going to sign the domestic partnership expansion bill into law tomorrow! The next several months Kent and I are going to be very politically active! Remember - Decline to Sign Referendum 71!

Later -

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment