Thursday, May 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


Dear Mom,

I know that I haven’t always appreciated what you’ve done for me. There have been so many times that I’ve taken you for granted. Today on your birthday I wanted to list the things that you did for me for which I will be forever grateful:

You always taught me that we are all equal. You didn’t allow me to think that I was better or less than anyone! Little did I know growing up how important this would become as I reached adulthood and fight for equal rights for the GLBT community.
You never gave up on me - I use this today as I talk with parents who are struggling with the behavior of their kids. I tell them never give up on your kids. I know my life would not be what it is today if you had given up on me. God knows there were times when I'm sure it was tempting! Remember the time you got the call from Florida and you flew Richard and I back?

You took the effort to make life fun. You showed me that there was more to life than chores and work and having "things". I recall with fondness things such as you making fresh cotton candy for the trick or treaters , the glitter Christmas ornaments we made together, and lighting the stump on fire in the woods!
The extra effort you put out to make me feel that everything was going to work out and life was going to be okay when I struggled the most has taught me to look for contentment in whatever circumstances I find myself.

Mom, thank-you for all that you’ve given to me. I will always and forever grateful and appreciative that you are my Mom. I hope you have a great birthday and know how much you are loved!
I thought I would share this video that my Mom sent me this week. We both enjoyed it and would have loved to have found ourselves there when this happened! The video was made in the Antwerp, Belgium Central Train Station. With no warning to the passengers passing through the station, a recording of Julie Andrews comes on the public address system singing “Do, Re, Mi.” See what happens and enjoy.



Please join me in wishing my Mom a Happy Birthday -

Love,

Jim and Kent!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Betty Lou! I hope you have a great day enjoying all the things you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, as usual you leave me speechless. I always say I was raised by my children who gave me so much and asked for so little. I am so proud of the man that you are. Your tribute to me is lavish, and mostly undeserved but I cherish it. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Gram. We are all lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Mom, you are the gift that keeps on giving; I see that in all our lives.
    I passed on to my children, and to all I come in touch with your life lessons. And the circle continues as they all do the same, Thank you for that gift to all of us.
    Love Midge

    ReplyDelete