Monday, November 24, 2008

Pus and a Smile Line

I've got to caution you , if you are easily grossed out - STOP READING NOW! This is one of those posts that Kent would say had "too much information".

Two things you never want to hear in the same sentence - Pus and a smile line. Until today I had not even heard the term smile line. As I mentioned in my earlier post I had to make an emergency dentist appointment today. I've been having a problem with a tooth for a few days and today I went in for a appointment.

I'm not sure what to do -it all happened so fast! I'm sitting is the dental chair and the dentist tells me after taking ex-rays that the issue is beyond her experience. Then in the next breath she is talking about pulling the tooth and implants and bridges. It's when the dental hygienist says "I've got to leave for lunch in 30 minutes so if we are going to pull a tooth we need to get going" that I put a stop to everything.

I've had a dental crisis going on for awhile now. When I lived and worked in Olympia I had the greatest Dentist and dental Hygienist in the world. I actually liked going to get my teeth cleaned so I could catch up with the "girls". It got harder and harder to get to appointments in Olympia so I decided to try a new Dentist. Big - big mistake. I found an office and made an appointment and each time I've been back I've seen a different dentist! Never leave a great dentist.! I'm going back!


So here it is the day before Thanksgiving and I've got an infected tooth and a decision to make. I decided to get a second opinion. I called my former dentist in Olympia and plan to have her give me her opinion before I decide what to do. In the mean time the antibiotic and the pain killer should get me through.

If anyone has experience or opinions on the bridge vs. implant, I'd love to hear from you.

I'll keep you posted -

Jim

2 comments:

  1. Smile line? Is this what you are talking about:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZeGOsR9IA

    ReplyDelete
  2. If money and pain are no cosideration, and you have no other teeth you may loose, or no major bone lose, I say go for implants(ask Rose). But if you have the typical Vollendroff teeth, I vote get a partial bridge, removable, do not let then mar your good teeth to anchor the bridge(ask Vicke). Love Midge

    ReplyDelete