Monday, April 19, 2010

Today - Everything Changes....

Well perhaps that's a bit dramatic but today is the first day of "serious" training - well at least as serious as a 46 year old non competitive athletic guy can get! Yesterday's run was tough - seemed like mile 19 would never come! I've got a few aches and pains that I am "watching" - mostly my feet and ankles. Not sure what that is all about. I've gone through many pairs of shoes and have never been completely satisfied. If I only find the perfect pair of shoes.....

I didn't end up running anyplace interesting I just followed the same old path near the house. The routes around our house are not all that interesting but they are certainly convenient. Although I have been known to drive to a running trail it seems pointless since the whole idea of running is to run after all. When I run from the office the runs are much more interesting. One of these days soon, I am going to take my camera with me on one of my morning runs and blog about it.

I think one of the reasons that I am so sore today is because after my run I worked in the yard all day - it was a beautiful day in Seattle! It's the time of year that I love to be in the yard and of course I'm planning my vegetable garden - I'm also nursing my seedlings along in the kitchen window.  Here are a few random pictures in and around the garden.  Notice the growth in the seedlings one week apart!


So back to the title of the posting - Everything Changes. Like I said I approach serious training differently than maintenance running. Any time I've completed a marathon in the 3:45ish time frame - it's as a result of "serious" training. So as of today every run will have purpose, I'll do more cross training, no fried foods, no alcohol, and although I'm not going vegetarian - I cut my intake of meat products. I also track/log my food. I found a great iPhone application for that - Edibles.


Great tool for tracking your weight and creating the electronic version of a food journal. Check it out sometime.

Lastly - I am going to work on my core strength. I've never had upper body strength and every time I begin "serious" training I like to add something new - I suppose I'm still looking for just the thing that's going to propel me to Boston! Speaking of - today was the Boston Marathon - I feel terrible for the thousands of runners from Europe that could not make it due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland.



I bought a book called - 7 Weeks to 100 Push-Ups. I am going to give it a try and I'll let you know who I progress! Tonight I do the initial test to find out my base - Hopefully I can do 10! It amazes me that I can run 26.2 miles and have such poor upper body strength! I've read a lot about the benefits of developing your core and think it will yield great results.


 I'll keep you posted! "Serious" training - commence!

Later -

Jim

4 comments:

  1. Your seedlings look good! Isn't it fun to watch them grow. I wish I had your dedication and orgianization. The yard as usual is lovely. I look forward to your pushup reports!

    ReplyDelete
  2. working in the garden aka squats :)
    may need some gardening advice...hoping to get some tomatoes in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...I think you need to add a push up counter to your blog! That way we can all track your progress. Afterall, it is all about YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be too embarrassed after my lame attempt last night - noodle arms today!

    ReplyDelete