Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One Day - I’ll thru hike the Appalachian Trail

There, I've said it – I’ve written it down and for me that’s where many of the greatest accomplishments of my life have all begun. I remember the same conversation with myself long before ever completing my first marathon - "if you write it down Jim you will eventually run a marathon".  I remember taking this management class when I was in my early 20's and the instructor had us develop a list of all the things we wanted to do in our life.  20 years later I ran across the list and was amazed at all the things I'd actually accomplished!  Write it down and it's more likely to happen!
 
So why suddenly the Appalachian Trail? Well as with many things – it’s been brewing for quite a long time and was recently rekindled on our recent trip to Syracuse when we crossed paths with the Appalachian Trail and took a short hike. I first became interested in the trail back in 1998 shortly after Kent and I met. I was working in Olympia at the time and commuting between our home in Kirkland which was about 70 miles each way – I had a lot of driving time on my hands and quickly discovered audio books. Bill Bryson’s - A Walk in the Woods - Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail was one of the first books I listened to.


Bryson details his attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail with an old friend who happens to be a recovering alcoholic and who is completely out of shape. The book is hilarious but it is also educational in that it is interspersed with more serious matters relating to the trial's history, and the surrounding sociology, ecology, trees, plants, animals etc. It’s a fun book – Kent and I are listening to it again for the umpteenth time!

I also just finished reading  - Awol on the Appalachian Trail.


It's about a guy (David Miller) who quits his job to hike the trail back in 2003.  His book really puts you in the shoes or boots as it may be of a long distance hiker.  I really enjoyed it.

 
  Since it will likely be retirement years before I am able to thru-hike the trail, I’m living vicariously through a group of young people currently hiking the trail that started in March of this year. I just recently discovered their blog Appalachian Trail Hike and find that I look forward to their updates. What an adventure!

Have a good one -

Jim

2 comments:

  1. i stumbled upon your site while looking for an actual ground cover prolific enough to choke out the onslaught of sticker bearing plants that showed up on my property(nexus, texas) this year. i ended up enjoying your pages for an hour or so. so as not to appear too stalky; i'm now asking if you can advise me on the landscaping problem. i'd appreciate any help you can give me.

    just reading about all your running is exhausting to me. i've never run unless something is chasing me. however we live just down the road from austin, where there is some run or bike ride nearly every week. if you haven't ever visited texas hill country, maybe you should run over this way to check it out.
    hogs & quiches from your newest fan, rena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes with your hiking plan. I'd like to run a marathon.
    - Awol

    ReplyDelete