Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Week 2 – Training for Boston

I’m already into week three as I write the week two update and it’s not been without struggle! I did however do my first hill workout this week and although tough – it felt great! I’ll save the details of hill training for the week three update.
Why was week two such a challenge? I think it’s because (as is often true in my life) I tried to push myself too much! I have to ease back into full training as opposed to my traditional approach of - I can just start as if I never reduced my running at all. I only ran four days this week. I found that my legs were more fatigued than I’d expected and I really did not want to miss my long run on Sunday so I did a little cross training on Friday and took Saturday off completely. I’ve officially decided that I am going to limit my training to 5 days per week. Six days is difficult not only because of the time but because of the time of year, plus I really need to have the two days a week that I can sleep in and not have to get up at 4:45 a.m.. My rest days will be Saturday and Monday.

My diet has also been something that I am working on right now. As I’ve said I tend to pack on a few extra pounds between races and I am working on taking off the extra weight now. I bought my first ever juicer and have been experimenting with drinking more fresh fruit and vegetable drinks. I was inspired by the book – Clean by Alejandro Junger. I am considering doing a three week food detox but I am easing myself into it. I’ve already altered my diet but several times while running I’ve felt weak and sluggish. I’m hoping that some dietary changes will help with the energy. I’ve written before that I cut out alcohol while training – so I am going on three weeks of no booze - now get this (I know it’s shocking to me too) – I am easing myself into going caffeine free! I’ve done this before and suffered the terrible headaches that come with caffeine withdrawal but I simply want to continue to look for ways to improve my health. No commitment on my part as of yet but I’m giving careful consideration! Not wanting to be wasteful I’ve got fresh coffee and Starbucks gift cards I’ve got to use up first!

Now for the running report for week two:

Monday – January 3, 2011 - Rest

Tuesday - January 4, 2011 – 8.35 easy

Wednesday – January 5, 2011 – 8.70 easy

Thursday – January 6, 2011 – 7.01 easy

Friday – January 7, 2011 – Rest

Saturday – January 8, 2011 – Rest

Sunday – January 9, 2011 – 16.4 long run

Weekly total: 40.46

Cumulative total: 82.91

Later - Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment