Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Scream.....

What are people so upset about? For crying our loud - passing of the Patriot Act did not cause this much commotion and talk about a piece of legislation that gave the government unprecedented power. I know, I know - it’s long past time that I can legitimately blame the Bush administration for all the wrongs of the world today but I’m not going to let that stop me! I can’t help but find myself amazed how quickly the American public forgets and how just as quickly, opinions are made based on hearsay, fear our outright lies – remember Sarah Palin and the “death panels”. I guess if you were stupid enough to believe that one, nothing should surprise me.

Sure, I’m a liberal – I believe that all Americans have the right to access quality health care; I believe that all Americans have the right - regardless of gender, to enter into a relationship legally recognized and sanctioned by the federal government and that this recognition will make marriage overall stronger. I am proud of these beliefs and if you disagree I’m happy to look you in the eye and tell you that you are wrong! While I believe in a democratic society and completely support that our individual diversity is the one true thing we all have in common and that it is to be celebrated - I have grave concern for what I see going on in this County right now. For the last four years of the Bush administration I suffered from outrage fatigue. I was so outraged by what was going on in the world that I found myself exhausted – Osama bin Laden ,weapons of mass destruction, axis of evil, war in Iraq, firing of US Attorney Generals, Scooter Libby, Guantanamo, torturing, $4+ per gallon gas prices, Blackwater, Hurricane Katrina, illegal wire tapping of Americans, tax breaks to the wealthiest Americans, trillion $ deficit, collapse of the financial market, recession – shall I continue? And now – now people are upset because those least able to provide for themselves, young people transitioning to adulthood, those with preexisting conditions, those with catastrophic illness are going to have health coverage, I don’t get it – I refuse to sit back and let the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, the Tea Baggers and now my own state Attorney General, Rob McKenna set the agenda for the rest of us. Get involved – Send Rob McKenna an email - tell him that he is wrong! When he launches his campaign for Governor (and ultimately that’s what this is all about) in the short term this rogue act may seem like a political gain, in the long run it will not serve him well and he will never get elected as Governor in a blue state like Washington with the type of politics he is playing now.  

Still Screaming......

Jim 

1 comment:

  1. You go boy!It is so good to have someone point out what our Country was going through befor we were smart enough to elect President Obama. Who by the way fought for and delivered Health care as he promised in his campaign. He mananged to do it in spite of the naysayers. Actually the advance direction for health care is an impowerment for people. It allows each individual to choose, the intensity of care they would want in any possible setting, while they are in good health and have the ability to make the decisions for themselves while they are not stressed. They can research every choice if they choose. That document becomes legal and binding. So their wishes and not someone in an agony of stress needs to say yea or nay to a life and death decesion, 2nd guessing what the person in question may or may not want. So empower yourselves and support the passage of people power.
    Just another Liberal!

    ReplyDelete