Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's Oscar Sunday!

Anyone who has visited my blog more than once knows that I am a movie fan - and yes I'm the kind of geek that keeps track of them all year! Last year Kent and I went to 48 movies. Every year when the Oscars are announced it's a race to see the list the second it's out to see how many of the movies we have seen. This year it was pretty impressive. Especially when you consider there were ten movies in the best picture category this year. The only movie we did not see prior to the announcement was A Serious Man. I have to so after seeing it that it was by far my least favorite nominated movie. I usually really like the Coen brothers movies - especially Fargo and Burn After Reading but I just did not get the draw to this movie.

I love everything about the Oscars - the build up to the announcement, the buzz about the front runners, the red carpet and the actual show and of course the fashon! I've not missed a show in a good 20 years! Some years have been better than others - dating myself but who can forget Billy Crystal hosting the year that Titanic won for best picture - hilarious!

So here is the list of the 2010 nominations in order of my personal preference - not that I think they all deserved a nomination in the first place.

Avatar - Best movie that I've seen in awhile - 3D really added to the experience.
The Hurt Locker - I'd be happy if this movie won - it stayed with me for a long time.
An Education - My surprise of the year - Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.
Precious - Thought it would be depressing and too disturbing but what a wonder story of the resilience of people.
Inglourious Bastards - Brad Pitt's best role since burn after reading - great movie.
Up in the Air - I love George Clooney - this was one of his best movies and a smart story.
District 9 - Nice to see this science fiction movie up for best picture - I found the storyline thought provoking.
The Blind Side - OK I love Sandra Bullock as much as any other gay guy but best picture? It was a really sweet moving storey but it's not even close to being in the category of the movies above. I really do love Sandra Bullock.
Up - This was a great animated film and the love story in the beginning of the movie was very sweet and this movie certainly deserves to win best animated feature but best picture? Not in my opinion.
A Serious Man - This is the only movie that I had not seen prior to the release of the nominated movies so I promptly went out and saw it - I didn't get it and I love the Coen brothers - it just did not work for me.

Okay - there were three movies that in my opinion were robbed and should have been up for an Oscar nomination:

Star Trek - Not just a great Star Trek movie but a great movie overall - robbed!
500 Days of Summer - Fantastic little movie - robbed!
A Single Man - Not just because I'm gay - moving story and great acting - robbed!

Finally here is my pick for a few of the major remaining categories:

Best Actor - Colin Firth moving portrayal of being gay in the 60's
Best Actress - Meryl Streep - she was Julia Child
Best Director - The Hurt Locker - I know I picked Avatar for best picture but I loved this movie as well and hope Kathern Bigelow becomes the first woman to win best director - it happened to Ang Lee when he was robbed for not winning for Brokeback Mountain
Best Supporting Actress - No contest - Mo'Nique
Best Supporting Actor - Another no contest - Christoph Waltz

Enough already - time to go enjoy the show!

1 comment:

  1. You do love the Oscars! hope you have a wonderful time in SF.
    love Mom

    ReplyDelete