Monday, June 15, 2009

Cooking Light

I have been so busy since finding out about the New York Marathon that I've not taken the time to blog for a few days - time to sit down and relax. First let me give a shout out to my nephew Clarence who is getting ready to graduate from Grays Harbor Community College with his AA Degree top 10 in his class!

Way to go - we are so proud of you! We went down to Ocean Shores on Sunday for a surprise party in his honor. He has an incredible story to tell and as several people said to me at this party - he's a miracle!

On to something new….. It's been awhile since I blogged a recipe so I thought I'd share one that I made tonight that turned out pretty good. When I get in the training mode for a marathon, eating well becomes an obsession. Kent says I go to extremes, I can't really disagree.

Tonight I made Kalamata-Balsamic Chicken with Feta served over Orzo with Fresh Spring Greens and Rosemary. Both these recipes come out of Cooking Light's - Fresh Food Fast. If you are interested in the full recipe click the link below. I could not find an online version of the Orzo one so I wrote it out.
Each recipe serves four. I took pictures of the ingredients for each recipe and one of the final dish. The basil is fresh from my garden!


Kalamata-Balsamic Chicken with Feta

Orzo with Fresh Spring Greens and Rosemary



3/4 Cup uncooked Orzo
1 cup spring mixed greens , coarsely chopped
4 teaspoons roasted pine nuts
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh Rosemary
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 . Cook orzo according to package, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta; and place in medium bowl.

2. Add greens mix and remaining ingredients, tossing well.

I started by making fresh Balsamic Vinaigrette since it was needed in the chicken recipe and I did not want to use bottled. I am sure you could substitute bottled but the fresh was sure good. The recipe link is below.

Balsamic Vinaigrette



I'd have to say all in all this was a great meal. Kent liked it and it was very easy to make. One of the things I like about the cookbook I used it that there are relatively few ingredients. Next time I make it I will probably use chicken thighs and marinate them before cooking - I'd recommend you do the same. The Orzo was very simple and delicious - I would not change a thing!


Give it a try - total calories per plate - 444
Note on food photography - What can I say - I'm working on it. The picture of the final dish does not do it justice. The challenge in taking these pictures is that you are doing it while actually making dinner so stopping and taking pictures and not fussing to the point of being forced to eat a cold meal all in the name of a good picture - does not go over well.
Anyway - I hope you enjoy.

Have a good one -

Jim

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks so beautiful. If it is true that we feast with our eyes before we ever open our mouths then I am replete with your dinner. You never cease to impress me. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks great, the best part would be having it cooked for me while I drink wine and keep you company, oh yea that is a job taken by Kent. Great to see you both Sunday, FYI, new family birthday to add 7/15 is Sarah (soon to be Gamboa) birthday.
    Love you Midge

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! I can't wait until my kitchen remodel is done - I need more new food ideas...bring them on!

    ReplyDelete