Friday, June 5, 2009

Austin Update

We have been in Austin for a few short hours and I can already say - come visit Austin! I've been to San Antonio, Houston and Dallas and for the most part enjoyed them all for different reasons but Austin is like an oasis in the state of Texas! It feels like a pocket of liberals from throughout the state that have found each other! Much different feel than the other Texas cities I've visited.



The Capitol campus is beautiful as is the Capitol building.



The campus of the University of Texas is pictured above with the Longhorns football stadium in the background.




In case you can't tell, I've got hold of this Texas Longhorn by his ear! Some of you will understand why - I'll leave it at that!



The bats flying out from under the Congress Ave. Bridge was amazing! Never seen anything like it. 1.5M bats suddenly emerge as the sun sets. It's hard to tell from this picture but they are flying out in the lower right corner and in the distance you can see a swarm of them in the sky just above the tree line. You have got to see it to believe it! Kent and I were lucky and had a great viewing point right where one of the streams of bats emerged.

That's all for our first afternoon. We had a great Mexican dinner and have a full day planned for tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Later-

Jim
Posted on the run from my iPhone.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you send me a postcard of the bats! Facinating! Dad and I are so glad you are having a wonderful time. We are leaving in the morning to go to Reno with Lola and Stu to celebrate Dad's 77th birthday! and Stu's 75th. I will have my cell phone on so you can reach Dad tomorrow. He said to remind you he is 77 not 78 Ha! We will be leaving around 8:00 am.
    Love you Mom and Dad too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to visit Austin too!
    Sounds like a great trip for you two, how wonderful you both love to travel so much, much like Adam & Sam who celebrate their 1st anniversary on Dad's birthday too.
    Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...suddenly I'm thinking about Bobby Hill.

    ReplyDelete