Sunday, June 7, 2009

Austin Day II

We started the day this morning with a 6 mile run around Lady Bird Johnson Lake near downtown Austin. There is a great trail well over 10 miles so if you are ever here and want to go for a run you'll love it and you will have a lot of company (eye candy) to keep you motivated! I took this picture of the trail as I was finishing up my run. God I love my iPhone!



I love visiting Farmers Markets when we travel so it's no surprise that we found Austin's. It was fairly small but had a nice selection of plants, organic food and of course fresh local fruit and vegetables. I loved the look of the carrots!



After leaving the market we drove to Mt. Bonnell Park for a view of the city and lake front homes.




From there we headed back to the campus of the University of Texas and visited the campus tower



and the LBJ library and Museum. This was my first visit to a presidential library. It was very interesting - I really need to seek out more of them in our travels. The LBJ Library and Museum is pictured below to the right of the fountain.



It's really hot here - today was 97 degrees. We had read a lot about the great local swimming holes and decided that we had to seek one out. We found very close to downtown and had a great time cooling off and relaxing at Barton Springs Pool. It was definitely the thing to do in town, very busy and great people watching! I think we are going to try a new place to swim tomorrow.



We ended the day downtown watching the Austin Pride Parade. It was a lot of fun. We were surprised by the number of young people at the parade. Austin has only been holding a parade for the last nine years. Pretty impressive turn out for such a young event.



Austin is our kind of town! Tomorrow is already our last day. We are already planning a return trip. Austin marathon in Feb. of next year?!

Later -

Jim

Posted on the run from my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment