Friday, July 10, 2009

290.5 miles to go!

Yesterday was a long day on the road. We really put on the miles traveling 863.4 miles between Douglas, WY and Spokane, WA. We are on the last leg of what has been a great road trip! We spent our last night on the road at the Spokane Courtyard. Camping was never discussed!

For those of you who have followed my blog for awhile I posted a blog titled - "I Fought the Law". Yesterday I almost had an reenactment of the event. Here I am driving along in a construction zone going 20 miles per hour being very mindful of my speed. I see the end of the construction zone and I also see a sign in the near distance raising the speed limit to 45 MPH. What I did not see was the police officer sitting off to the side of the construction site looking for innocent tourists to harass! We go past and he pulls right out and honest to God my first thought is "I wonder who he is going to pull over?" - then immediately I know it's me. I go right into my - officer I'm innocent mode - remember from the previous post - admit to nothing!

He goes into the standard "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and I go right into my "I'm innocent mode". Which I was! He tried to claim that I was still in the construction zone and was going 30 MPH in a 20. I pointed out that when I began to accelerate I was out of the construction zone and could see the sign increasing the speed to 45 MPH. "You were still in the construction zone- license and registration and proof of insurance please". After being gone for a long time he comes back with a chart and points to the fine for speeding in a construction zone - $450! "My boss would be real proud and tell me I'm doing a great job for this size ticket", he says. I started to once again proclaim my innocence when it dawned on me he was ultimately going to let me go with a warning. I immediately go from the "I'm innocent" mode to - the "thank you officer you have made me see the light and I'll never speed again" mode.

I'd love to know others thoughts about when you can begin to accelerate if you see the speed limit sign in the distance. If I can see it, then in my opinion that's full right to increase my speed! Any way obviously I digress...

Kent is very particular about keeping our vehicles clean so you can imagine his horror to see the truck after driving through what I can only describe as a bug storm. It was pretty gross! You could see the bugs in the headlights and hear them hit the windshield like rain. We immediately went to a car wash!


Today was really more about putting on some serious miles more than anything else. We did take a scenic route over the Big Horn mountains.



I am not sure if it will show up well in the picture but the wild flowers were beautiful and very well could have been at their peak.


After exiting the Big Horn mountains we stopped for what would be our last picnic of the trip.



On our drive east we discovered Moxiberry in Missoula, Montana. Best sour frozen yogurt I've ever had and I love the stuff! They have both green tea and original and every kind of topping you can imagine! The green tea with blueberries was delish! Any way we liked it so much that we stopped in again on our drive home. If ever in Missoula definitely check it out! You will not be disappointed.


Have a good one -

Jim


Posted on the run from my iPhone.

2 comments:

  1. Did you say sour frozen yogurt? Sour?!? I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of sour frozen yogurt either! Hi Jennifer! But I am going back to the posted sign speed limit. The correct place to accelerate is as you are passing the sign, not when you can see it in the distance! What a nice policeman you met. Truly one of the protectors of our highways, although apparently a bit lienent. Since you were obviously driving dangerously accelerating to a high speed in a construction zone! I am surprised at you. ( I have to sound like a Mom sometimes!) I would have loved to see the wild flowers. We had ripe tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden for dinner tonight. We love you Love Mom & Dad too.

    ReplyDelete