Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Mutant Lilies

So far so good! I have heard from six people that I have not heard from in a long time – including our friends Curt and Myrna. Curt has been a long time mentor of mine who has taught me a lot. This picture was taken at their 50th wedding anniversary!

It was great to hear from you all! Please leave comments when you visit! Beware if I've got a picture of you it may end up on my site unless you tell me otherwise. Don't worry - I know the rule, flattering photos only. I had a couple of questions about how to leave a comment, I’ve looked in to it and think I have it figured out and fixed the problem. You should be able to leave comments now – please do! Congratulation to my friend Kim, she knew the quote from yesterday. It was from Steel Magnolias. That movie is full of great quotes. Two of my other personal favorites include: "Miss Truvy, I promise that my personal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair" LOL… and "Time marches on and sooner or later you realize it is marchin' across your face"! LOL again…… Go back and watch this movie if you have not seen it for awhile – It’s got some great lines.

As I’ve said, this is a work in progress. I keep making changes to make this a fun site that you will want to visit time and time again. I’ve added a counter so I can track the traffic – so far so good, better than expected! I’ve also added the Barack Obama badge to show my support – click it and be a part of history! George W. is a blog of it’s own for another time. 01/20/09 can not come soon enough for me! I am working on a way for you to sign up for email notices when I've made a posting, I require technical assistance so be on the look out and sign up as soon as you see it. Lastly before getting to the Mutant Lilies – now that I’ve fixed the comments link, please do leave me comments, I’d love to hear from you.

Now on with the show……


So you guys know that I love Gardening – we have worked really hard over the years to make our yard beautiful. As far as I am concerned we have succeed for the most part although it is a constant work in progress.


I’m afraid to admit it but Kent may be right that I have created a high maintenance yard. The compost that we need delivered alone is enough to scare most people. A couple of times I’ve had 10 yards of compost/manure mix delivered and dumped to the left of the driveway. Not only did it take us a week to spread, I’m sure all the neighbors really hated us when their kids came home smelling of manure following a game of "King of the Mountain" on the compost pile! I won’t even go into the bike ramp they made to jump the pile!

Enough about that – what about my mutant lilies? The thing I like so much about blogging so far is that I get to write about anything that comes to mind and I get to share great things with people that otherwise only Kent and I would see. In the garden weird things happen all the time. Things don’t thrive when you think the conditions are perfect, things multiple like weeds when you wish they would die, but once in awhile something happens that you just have to document. Well this year I’ve got mutant lilies.

Well actually it’s one mutant lily. It’s incredible! Get a load of the mutant lily!



I’ve never seen anything like it! Look at all those buds. The stem is huge also – I’m surprised it can support the weight of the flowers.



It’s not the variety either – this lily has been in my yard for years! This is a freak lily that I am lucky enough to have in my back yard!



There you have it, if anyone knows what happened or has seen this before, I’d love to hear about it! I’m also including a few other pictures from the yard for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

Later - Jim

2 comments:

  1. Wow, look at those lilies! You know I'm not a gardener, but even I can appreciate those! And I love your improvements to your blog thus far. The photos are all great...keep them comin'. I do require written consent prior to posting any photos of me, however. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I not surprised at the size of your lilies!!

    ReplyDelete