Sunday, August 9, 2009

Missed Blogaversary!

I just realized the other day that I've been blogging on Ground Cover for over a year and I missed my blogaversary! Shame on me. For those who have been reading for awhile you know that I post on an inconsistent basis. Mostly related to how busy I am -that being the case over the past few weeks. I enjoy having a blog if for no other reason for the first time in my life I've been able to journal for a full year. That's essentially how I view my blogging. It's sad to say - more for me than for you! Not to say that I'm not glad a few people read it and periodically make a comment here and there. I really do appreciate the comments.

I've been thinking about the future of the blog and not sure where it will go in the next twelve months. I wish I had more time to simply sit and write but between work, chores and marathon training and a bit of socializing it frequently gets pushed to the side.

I just finished week four of a sixteen week training program for the New York Marathon on November 1, 2009. I'm more excited about this run than any other I've ran for so many reasons. As with many runners when I first started running I fantasized about running the Boston Marathon and the New York Marathon. When we go to New York in November our friends Bill and Mike will join us - they are fun to travel with and we always have a good time traveling together. The training schedule I've chosen is rigorous - I'm running 6 days a week with different routines each day - one day a week hills, one day a week speed work, one long run each week and then three days of easy runs - I'm putting in 42 miles per week right now and will peak at 60 miles just before the marathon. When all is said between the training and the marathon itself I'll have logged 722.2 miles! Great thing about it is that it keeps the weight at bay and I can basically eat what ever I want. Each time I train seriously - I try a few new things in my diet, this time I'm completely alcohol free, no deep fried food, more fish and less beef. Seems to be paying off. I've never really done a great deal of hill workouts before and I can already tell in just the first four weeks that it is really going to pay off. I'm also part of an online training group that has been fun and keeps me motivated. I'll be writing more about the training between now and November since I'm really going to be spending a great deal of time wrapped up in it until November.

Work has been very busy which is both a good thing and a bad thing - it's hard to tend to the day to day tasks and keep up on email, and maintain your sanity all at the same time but I manage. I am very lucky to have a great job and work with great people for the most part. Last week I was in a meeting with the Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy - Gil Kerlikowske - former chief of Police in Seattle. The Director advises the President regarding changes in the organization, management, budgeting, and personnel of federal agencies that effect U.S. anti-drug efforts; and regarding federal agency compliance with their obligations under the National Drug Control Strategy. I've had opportunity to meet with John Walter who was the Director under the Bozo - I mean Bush administration as well.

I have been working on a federal grant that was submitted a few months ago to implement substance abuse programs fro transition age youth 18-24 years of age. Still waiting to hear if we got the grant but I received an inquiry last week for more information which is a very good sign. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Finally eating fresh tomatoes out of the garden - only the cherry ones at this point but I do have several large ones just waiting to ripen. Part of the price for living in Seattle! It's been a hot dry summer - Seattle reached it's all time record high of 103 a few weeks ago but now things are back to normal much to the relief of everyone I know!

Obviously I need to post more often - way to much to say. Kent and I saw Julie and Julia on Friday evening - I really enjoyed it. Julie & Julia was written and directed by Nora Ephron. The film depicts events in the life of chef Julia Child, contrasting her life with Julie Powell, a woman who aspires to cook all 524 recipes from Child's cookbook. The screenplay is adapted from two books: My Life in France, Child's autobiography, written with Alex Prud'homme, and a memoir by Julie Powell. In August 2002, Powell started documenting online her daily experiences cooking each of the 524 recipes in Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking,
I had read - My Life in France but I'm rereading it now because I enjoyed the movie so much. Very inspiring story - she was older than I am now before she published her first cookbook! It's never too late to try something new. Kent and I have actually been thinking about taking some cooking classes - we just talked about it with our friend Bill recently. Anyway go see the movie - I think you will enjoy it.

Anyway - I'll try to post more often so you don't have to slog through so much next time you check in - have a great Sunday and Bon Appetite!

Jim

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see you back on! I miss reading about things and worry about you being too busy and working too hard! {yes everyone it is Mom again} Good to talk to you. I am going to have to try your receipe for roasted beets.When you talk about your runs it makes my 4 miles on my bike sound like a rain drop compare to a thunder shower! I may have to start calling you Lightning ! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogaversary! Saw Julie & Julia yesterday. I also enjoyed it very much and made me want to cook again.

    ReplyDelete