Wednesday, March 11, 2009

To Kennel or Not to Kennel

That really is the question. Kent and I are headed off to LA for a few days and every time we have to kennel Toby, we struggle with both being seperated from him and with leaving him at a kennel. I think technically he might be small enough to take on the plane and take with us - I imagine that we will do that at some point but this trip is not condusive to bringing him along as we will be indoors most of the time. We talked to our dog trainer about having someone come to the house so he could be in familiar surroundings but he would spend so much time alone we decided against it. I've been told that dogs have no sense of time. How do we know this to be the case? I wish I knew for sure.



I can't imagine him sitting at home for several days with someone stopping by once or twice a day for a very short period of time. But perhaps it's better than being kenneled? We are taking him to the kennel tonight, we always pay extra so he gets individual extra play time - we sound like one of those wicked parents who send their kids off to boarding school because they didn't want them arond and then say "we paid for the best possible school"!

I'd love to hear from others about this delima. Having a dog is a wonderful thing and you only want the best for them. I'd like to think we made the right choice.




Have a good one -

Jim

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand! I have three dachshunds who are my babies. Our solution has been to have someone stay at our house. Usually it's my college-aged daughter or some other young adult that we know. It works really well for us to leave them some spending money and let them hang out at our house for a few days.

    ReplyDelete